Cultural Survival is pleased to announce its third call for proposals for the year 2019 in projects of Indigenous community radio stations. The Project for Subsidies to Indigenous Community Media is part of Cultural Survival’s Community Media Program, whose objective is to empower community radio stations led by Indigenous and Indigenous communities as a platform for communities to inform, entertain, educate and organize themselves. according to their own needs and collective interests as a community.
The objective of the Subsidies Project for Indigenous Community Media is to strengthen the impact and influence of community radio stations at the local and regional levels in the work they do for the revitalization of Indigenous cultures, languages, histories, worldviews, rights, protection of ancestral territories and natural resources, as well as the promotion of women’s leadership. For this round of grants, community radios from Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Bolivia, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Nepal, northern India, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa can participate. . The proposals will be accepted until October 18, 2018.
The maximum amount available for projects is $ 8,000.00 USD.
Funding may be requested for projects based on the needs of the community. We are open to innovative projects. Cultural Survival is interested, but not limited to the following types of projects.
- Legal processes to access radio frequencies for stations of Indigenous communities.
- Institutional development in radio stations that include: strategic planning, development of a board of directors, development of environmental policies, gender policies, design and implementation of evaluation and monitoring systems.
- Development of skills in radio technical skills: production, investigative journalism, maintenance of radio equipment.
- Evaluation of the scope of radio stations and the impact of radio programs on the community.
- Development of radio content on topics related to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP), decolonized history of Indigenous Peoples, protection of lands and resources, news development, rights of Indigenous women, cultural heritage and ancestral, national legislation that affects the rights of Indigenous Peoples, public debates.
- Radio equipment (limited to 30% of the total budget of the grant).
- Community organization related to the rights of Indigenous Peoples, focusing on radio as the main means to reach the community.
- Training of community radios to other community radios.
The projects will be selected based on their creativity, self-sustainability, vision and work in relation to Indigenous rights and culture. The projects will be completed in a period of 6 and 10 months and must demonstrate how a problem or need will change within the radio and / or the community. Preference will be given to community radio stations that broadcast in Indigenous languages.
Application deadline: October 18, 2018
The first phase of the proposals is the presentation of a letter, audio or video recording detailing the project proposal. The letter must have an extension of two pages and the audio or video recording must not exceed three minutes. If the proposal is chosen, the community radio will be invited to develop a more elaborate proposal in Spanish or English (only in these two languages). The application of the project proposal is designed so that Indigenous communities with different capacities have access to it.
The proposal, (be it an audio recording, video or a written document) must include:
- Name of the community radio and brief history of its origin. Add links to web pages or Facebook related to your radio / organization.
- The indigenous group / nation for which the radio works, and the percentage of the population that benefits from this radio.
- What is the need for community radio or the community?
- What is the idea of the project that addresses that need?
- A brief description of the proposed activities
- At the end of the project, what do you hope to achieve?
- Application for the amount ($ 8,000.00 maximum). Prepare your budget in local currency and in US dollars.
- To obtain more information or send your written proposal, in audio or video, contact: [email protected]
For more information visit the official site Here