The Memorial Foundation of May 18 is pleased to announce the call for the 2019 nominations for the following Awards:
- The Gwangju Prize for Human Rights (GPHR): carries a cash prize of $ 50,000 USD.
- The GPHR Special Award: Brings a cash prize of $ 10,000 USD.
To promote the spirit of the Movement of Democratization of May 18, in which the people of Gwangju resisted against the brutal military forces for the sake of democracy and human rights in 1980, the Memorial Foundation of May 18 recognizes the exemplary efforts of individuals and organizations that aspire to restoration. of justice and human rights in their respective countries through the Gwangju Prize for the Human Rights Prize. Since 2000, the Foundation has awarded the “Gwangju Human Rights Award” to individuals, groups and institutions in Korea and abroad that have contributed to promoting and promoting human rights, democracy and peace in their work.
The Special Prize is intended for a person or organization that has contributed to the promotion of democracy and human rights through cultural activities, journalism and in academic fields. These awards are given by the citizens of Gwangju in a spirit of solidarity and gratitude to those who have helped them in their struggle for democratization and their search for the truth. It is hoped that through this award, the spirit and message of May 18 will be immortalized in the hearts and minds of humanity.
Any person or organization that meets the nomination criteria can submit a nomination for the GPHR and the SPGPHR. Any nomination is considered valid if it is presented by a person or organization that falls into one of the following categories:
- Individuals or organizations that won the May 18 Citizens Award and / or the Yun Sang-won Award
- Previous Gwangju Prize for human rights laureates
- Organizations in Korea or abroad working for the human rights, peace and reunification of the Koreas that have been active for three years or more and that the Directorate of the Memorial Foundation of May 18 decides to request their nomination.
- Any person or organization in Korea or abroad that agrees with the purpose of the GPHR
Presentation documents required
- Nomination Form
- Two identification images
- Other materials that can support your activities and eligibility for the award
- How and to whom: via email to [email protected]
Deadline for application: December 31, 2018
For more information visit the official site Here