In honor of innovation in technology, industry and society stimulated by the arts
Grand Prize of the European Commission in honor of innovation in technology, industry and society stimulated by the arts.
STARTS is an initiative of the European Commission to promote technology partnerships and artistic practice. As part of this initiative, the STARTS Award grants the most pioneering collaborations and results in the field of creativity and innovation at the intersections of science and technology with the arts. The STARTS Prize of the European Commission is launched by Ars Electronica, BOZAR and Waag.
Science, technology and arts (Science, Technology and Arts = STARTS) form a nexus with an extraordinarily high potential for creative innovation. And it is considered that such innovation is precisely what is required if we want to master the social, ecological and economic challenges that Europe will face in the near future. Therefore, it is no longer considered that the role of artists is only to spread knowledge and scientific and technological skills among the general public, but rather as a type of catalyst that can inspire and trigger innovative processes. The artistic practice of creative exploration and the experimental appropriation of new technologies has a wide potential to contribute to the development of new products and new economic, social and business models. Consequently, the STARTS Prize focuses on artistic works that influence or change the way we see technology, and innovative ways of collaboration between the ICT sector and the world of art and culture.
Two prizes are offered, each with a prize of € 20,000, to honor innovative projects at the intersection of science, technology and the arts: one for artistic exploration, and therefore projects with the potential to influence or change the how technology is implemented, developed or perceived, and one for innovative collaboration between industry / technology and art / culture in ways that open new paths for innovation.
- Grand Prize / Artistic Exploration: Awarded for artistic exploration and works of art where appropriation by the arts has great potential to influence or alter the use, deployment or perception of technology.
- Grand prize / innovative collaboration awarded for innovative collaboration between industry or technology and the arts that opens new paths for innovation.
- Each project sent must be, at the time of its presentation, fully completed or sufficiently advanced so that the jury can evaluate its quality and the probability that it will be implemented successfully. The same applies to collaboration agreements: at the time they are sent, they should already be in operation and in the implementation stage. No consideration will be given to entries that are purely concepts, ideas or proposals for collaboration.
- The projects must not be more than two years old or must show a significant update or further development in the last two years.
- There is no fee to participate in the STARTS Prize 2019 contest.
Application deadline: March 1, 2019
For more information visit the official site Here